Benefits of becoming a Living Wage Employer
A Living Wage Employer is a responsible employer who cares about their employees and the community. They recognize that paying a living wage constitutes a critical investment in the long-term prosperity of the economy by fostering a dedicated, skilled and healthy workforce.
- Employees who earn a living wage experience increased mental and physical health, and economic wellbeing
- LW Employers receive public recognition for demonstrating a commitment to socially responsible practices, making them more attractive to potential employees and customers
- Employers paying a living wage experience a decrease in employee turnover and absenteeism, increased retention and productivity, savings on rehiring and retraining
- Enhances employee recruitment strategy for lower paying occupations
- Recognition on Living Wage publications and website
- As Living Wage policies have been in place around the world for over 15 years there is now a large body of research which documents the positive economic and social effects of paying a Living Wage. Click onto the benefits of becoming a Living Wage Employer to find out more.
Living Wage Employers agree to adhere to the following criteria:
- All employees (full-time, part-time and casual) must be paid the current living wage rate for your area. Currently our program covers the Lower Mainland area where the Living Wage rate is $19.62 per hour , the Greater Victoria area where the Living Wage rate is$18.73 per hour, and the Fraser Valley area where the Living Wage rate is $16.37 per hour.
- If you pay non-mandatory benefits to your employees, the living wage hourly rate will be reduced to take account of this. See our benefit calculator for details.
- Externally contracted staff, who are not direct employees, who provide services to your organization on a regular ongoing basis must also be paid a living wage.
- Employees paid by incentive-based pay (tips) or commission can be paid less than a living wage provided their total earnings (including incentive-based pay and/or commission) equal or exceed the living wage.
How to apply
Applying to become a Living Wage Employer is very straightforward. Simply fill out the Enrollment form below (there is no fee) and send it in to us. All applications are reviewed by our Recognition Body made up of representatives from Business, Social Enterprise, Ethical Investment and Trade Unions. If your application is successful, we will ask you to sign a Living Wage Pledge and arrange to meet with you to formally designate you as a Living Wage Employer. We will hand over a window decal for store front display where appropriate and an electronic logo for use on websites and publications.